Wednesday, January 28, 2015

The Last Post From This Side of the Pond

It is 10.00 p.m. Swedish time. Our taxi comes at 4.00. Our first flight to Amsterdam leaves at 6.25. Our flight to LAX departs at 9.50 and arrives in LA at 12.00 noon. Flying west means the day never ends! Tanner's crate is ready to go, even if he isn't! Now all that is left is to hope for smooth travel.
Today's been a crazier day than expected with too many last minute things. Why does that always happen?! I guess it's the nature of the beast. We've said our good-byes, turned in our church keys and phones, cleaned the house, packed the last of the stuff, and are ready to walk out of Tegnergatan 4 for the last time. While I'm ready for the journey to begin and end, of course, there is nostalgia. Our house looks much like it did when we walked in the door 16.5 years ago...a bit of furniture, no decorations, an empty shell ready to be filled. Little did we know that this apartment would become a home and allow us to host so many different and wonderful folks through these years. I think of the meals shared around this table and the incredible conversations we've had. I think of the laughter that has filled these rooms. I feel so deeply the love that has shaped our relationships. Now the bookcases await another set of books. They have housed ours well. It would be silly to think that I won't miss it.
And yet, I am ready for the new adventure, for the mystery that awaits us, for the warmth and the sunshine, to be closer to family and friends that we've been separated from for a long time. I long for my mom and dad...I feel such disappointment and sadness that they aren't there to share in this time and yet, I'm also so thankful that they are not struggling. I am confident that God goes before us and is already busy preparing...he just hasn't let us in on his plans yet!
This morning I put these put these words on Facebook. They are from the musical Les Miz and they are so well-suited for us.
"One day more! Another day, another destiny.
Tomorrow we'll discover What our God in Heaven has in store!
One more dawn, One more day, One day more!"
Thanks for following my journey across the pond for all these years. I plan to continue to write about what's it like to be Back Across the Pond! And so this is my final post from this side...I write with tears in my eyes and gratitude in my heart.

2 comments:

  1. I love you Jodi and can only imagine the mix of emotions. Sometimes the "right" decision doesn't always feel "right" for a few days, weeks or months.

    PS...I want to know what the papers on Tanners crate say. "I'm immigrating from Sweden to California, please speak nicely to me."

    ReplyDelete