Sunday, March 9, 2014

First Sunday in Lent


In my previous post I mentioned that I was going to seek to give up ingratitude for Lent and practice mindful thankfulness by stating three things at the end of each day that I am especially thankful for. It has been an interesting few days as I've started this. I also started a Facebook group entitled Thankfulness Project for those doing the same thing and wishing to share it on Sundays. What joy it has been for me to not only connect with so many friends from all walks of life, who are literally scattered across the globe, (People participating live in: New Zealand, South Africa, France, Sweden, Germany, England, USA!) but also to connect these various relationships in my life with one another. What joy! I must admit that I have been more mindful of my complaining spirit and more cognizant about what I will be thankful for at the end of the day. 
Here's the full list from my week:

Ash Wednesday
Thursday, March 6:
Thankful for technology and travel that transport me to the other side of the world in a safe a comfortable manner.
Thankful for our friends who have stayed in our house while were gone, taking great care of it and having dinner made for us upon our return.
Thankful for the darlingest of all dogs...Tanner!

Friday, March 7:
A meaningful job
A beautiful home
Good, fresh food

Saturday, March 8
Beautiful city to live in
Time to relax
Social media through which I connect with friends far and wide

Sunday, March 9
Fantastic church
Daylight returning to Sweden
The Thankfulness Project group on FB. What a wonderful day to connect with family and friends, near and far, scattered across the globe!   

I am curious to see how the progression of gratitude will go for me...if I will tire of the task or be inspired to notice more and more reasons to be thankful. I think the latter will prove to be true. One of my friends who is participating mentioned this poem in her thoughts this week. What a great way to begin the second week of Lent.

St. Jude's Prayer on Lent
Looking for something to give up for Lent?
Give up resentment and become more forgiving.
Give up hatred and return good for evil.
Give up complaining and be more grateful.
Give up pessimism and become more hopeful.
Give up worry and become more trusting.
Give up anger and become more patient.
Give up pettiness and become more noble.
Give up gloom and become more joyful.
Give up doubt and turn to God.

You are welcome to join the Facebook group if you are interested.  Just let me know via commenting on the blog or private message.
May blessings be yours this week and may your heart overflow with gratitude!  It's good for your soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment