Thursday, October 17, 2013

Accomplished Father, Proud Daughter

Through the years I've been a bit of a "bloggart" (one who brags in one's blog) regarding the accomplishments of my father.  Perhaps when we are small, many children think of their dads as the greatest man on earth, the one who could move mountains, the strongest and the bestest in whatever it is they do all day.  I was no different, but it turns out that I am not the only one who recognizes these virtues in my father.  He has been recognized as one of the premier football coaches in Orange County and indeed the entire southern section of California.  Coach Moon, as he is affectionately called, has won Coach of the Year, has led 2 different teams, from two different schools, to a championship, and played in the championship game 6 times.   His overall career winning percentage is 73%.  Over 17 seasons he went to the play-offs 14 times.  He won 72% of those games and never lost a game in the first round.
                                
But perhaps most impressive of all is the fact that he keeps in touch with countless men who were former players.  It takes a special person to maintain the kind of charisma and character it requires to keep boys from their high school years interested in keeping in touch with their high school football coach more than 35 years down the road.  I am always amazed by the number of boys who keep up with dad.  Several attended my mom's funeral.  Many call on a weekly if not daily basis.
He has been so much more than a coach to these guys...he has been friend, mentor, and even father at times for some.
The Southern Section of the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF), the governing board for High School athletics has now also decided to recognize his fine achievements.  Last summer we learned that my father is going to be inducted into the Hall of Fame of the CIF.  This is a great achievement for him and I could not be prouder.  I am deeply inspired that at 80 years old, my dad is still winning awards and still being recognized for the amazing legacy he has left on high school athletics in southern California.  The induction ceremony is taking place next Thursday, 24 October.  I will not be able to be present as I will be on my way to India for a mission trip.  But he will be surrounded that day...by countless former players, the guys who benefited from his great leadership and rode the waves of success with him as members of his teams.  It will be the first time that the two championship teams have gotten together so this holds a special place for my dad.  Of course, the great sadness surrounding this event is that the marvelous and faithful Mrs. Moon will not be present to celebrate this moment.  As excited as my dad felt to be honored and recognized, he was quick to say, "Mom would've loved this."
So I just have to take another opportunity to brag on my dad.  I guess I have always been his biggest cheerleader since the year he won his first championship I was the high school mascot.But then again, he's easy to cheer for. He continues to inspire me in so many different ways.  Congratulations Dad.  You deserve every honor you receive.

2 comments:

  1. WOW, be sure and give your Dad a big shout out and congratulations from his and your friends Rich & MB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jodi!

    I have the absolute privilege of introducing Moon at the Ceremony... Your thoughts are exactly the same as mine!

    ReplyDelete