Monday, April 22, 2013

Waiting For the Passage from Earthly Life to Eternal Life

The weekend brought us to a place of great decline with my mom.  Last Friday she was in quite a bit of pain and we were doing everything we could to get the pain under control and get her to a more comfortable resting place.  Sadly, this also meant that she needed to be sedated in order to rest quietly.  We didn't realize it at the time, but once she quieted down on Friday, it was the beginning of the end of her being alert on earth.  She would stir from time to time but often with groans and whines.  She seemed so uncomfortable that the most humane thing to do was to gently care for her through loving words and warm caress while administering more pain medicine.  My father and I began to accept that the days of interacting with her here on earth were likely behind us and we began to pray for God, in His mercy, to take her to her eternal home.  
I have never waited for death in quite this manner.  We are very blessed that she has been able to have home hospice care and her caregivers have been awesome.  There are no tubes or machines.  Just us trying to make her passage from earth into eternity as comfortable as possible.  
It is a strange and curious place to be, waiting, (wanting in a compassionate manner) for a loved one to pass.  I am deeply comforted by the events of the past week and by the future hope that we truly embrace.  I know that my mother is anxious to meet my brother, in whatever way the afterlife provides, and I know that she is ready to shed this earthly body which is now of no earthly good and only a hindrance to the glory that awaits her.  I cannot want her to continue in this fragile state.  It is so odd to think that while she is technically still alive, she is definitely no longer living.  I count it a huge privilege to be present with my father and with her as we wait for her death.  Both my father and I are ready for the next stage of adjustment and grief which will surely come.  But we are ready to release her from this current state and return to memories of her which include her broad smile, curly hair and winsome personality.  
I have thought so often of what we in clergy circles commonly refer to as the Nunc Dimittis, most often recited at the end of a funeral or a memorial, but something that has brought me comfort as I have sought to come to grips with my mom's departure from this world:


"Lord, now you let your servant go in peace;   
Your word has been fulfilled.
My eyes have seen the salvation
You have prepared in the sight of every people,
A light to reveal you to the nations and the glory of your people, Israel."

My mom has been a great servant of our Lord.  The imprint that she has made on countless people's lives is immeasurable.   She has been a light that has helped so many experience the unconditional love of Christ in unspeakable ways.  She deserves to go in peace and so we are praying for that to happen soon.
Yes, it is a very strange place waiting for someone you love to pass from earth to eternity and yet the hope that is ours because of Christ's victory over death through his resurrection surely brings comfort and joy even as we sorrow.  Lord, in your mercy.  Hear our prayers.  Amen.

12 comments:

  1. Oh Jodi. Amen indeed.
    Thanks for sharing this very personal journey.
    My heart is with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jodi,
    Your words speak so perfectly of this unexplainable transition. It was five years ago this month that my mom and I experienced nearly every step of this journey that you describe as we sat with my dad as he saw the end of his earthly life. Really hard to describe but I so understand exactly what you are experiencing. We will continue prayers for you ALL as you walk together through these last difficult days. I love the picture you posted of sweet Rosie - Such a joyful picture of her and the way we will remember her. Hope you feel all the love and hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holding you all close in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful entry, Jodi. What a gift you have had in your Mom, and she in you.

    Lifting you all up this day,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roseanne will be missed by many. She was a lovely women that touched many peoples hearts. May she go in peace and not suffer. I know she has a home with the Lord. Thoughts and prayers with her family.

    Love,
    The Coffins

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful words... so glad you are there. lifting you up today and in the days ahead. love, love to you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Jodi for your steadfast posts....so many of us love your family and are praying for the very same.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My prayers are for you, and your Mom and Dad, to be covered with God's Love and peace as you await Rose Ann's journey home.

    How I love you all!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear, dear friends...
    each of your comments is so special to me...my dad and I both thank you for your love and support.
    Love to you all too.
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Jodi and Ted,

    Rose Ann will always have a very special place in my heart and Cal's. She has always put the needs of others before hers. I pray our Lord and Savior will be merciful and grant peace for all. Thank you for sharing this journey and please know the Ahlers' are sending love and prayers your way.

    God bless you Jodi and Ted

    Debra & Cal Ahlers

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a poignant, honest, and touching message. Our hearts and prayers are definitely with you during these difficult times.
    Love,
    Lola + Urban

    ReplyDelete