Sunday, February 20, 2011

All the Things That Made Me LOVE NYC

I really, really, really fell in love with New York City.  I felt totally at home there and actually felt like I would love to have the opportunity to work and live there some day. After the carriage ride on Saturday, we jumped on the subway, rode to the Staten Island Ferry and took a local ride out on the harbor.  I don't think I quit smiling for a minute as we cruised past Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty.  When the ferry landed, we simply got on the one returning to Manhattan and took in the gorgeous skyline and the Brooklyn Bridge. This trip was free and was one of the great tips my buddy Kathleen had given me for enjoying NYC without spending a fortune!
Once back on land, we were down in the financial district, so wandered over to Ground Zero. It is still a bit sad for me that I never saw NYC with the twin towers in tact and it's weird to think that Doug and I have not lived in the USA post 9/11 and yet I was very glad to be near this spot that changed so many things 9 years ago. 
I had gotten a drinks deal off Travel Zoo for a hotel bar that was nearby so we ventured up to the W hotel and their way too cool Living Room lounge.  We were not sure we were actually cool enough to be there, but we had a ball enjoying New York City cocktails and delicious snacks.  It was a great break on wintry afternoon and offered wonderful views of the activity going on at the site of Ground Zero.
We ended the day with food, of course!  We found a classic diner and just chowed down on burgers, beer, milk shakes and pizza.  It was a very American meal and we loved every bite! 
Riding the subway was a truly wonderful experience. People came on and sang.  We chatted with some of the locals.  Everyone was so friendly and helpful.  As we departed at our stop, a rag tag band was playing Beatles Tunes.  They were awesome and it was fun to see this group of regular, a bit middle aged folks just playing and singing in the subway on a Saturday evening in NYC!
We decided that we'd had a full day and so returned to the hotel early and enjoyed a quiet night to savor the wonderful day that we had just spent in my new favorite city.

2 comments:

  1. Love the pics Jodi! And I'm so glad you had such a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra...it was magical...seems very far away st this point! Hope you are doing OK. We have lots to talk about from our journeys!

    ReplyDelete