Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Advent day 24

Someone recently introduced me to Spotify, an internet music provider that is quite cool. You can punch in any group or type of music and it comes up on your computer and you can listen to it for free. Every once in awhile you have to listen to a silly advertisement in the midst of your listening pleasure but that's a small sacrifice to make for having all the music of the world at your finger tips. In the past week I've heard Christmas music from Sarah McLachlan, Nat King Cole, Amy Grant, King's College Cambridge, and John Rutter. I also have just asked for instrumental Christmas music and the most gorgeous stuff comes up. Music that I would never have had access to if not for Spotify.
Music is one of the great treats of Christmas for many people. As I've looked over the services for Christmas Eve and next Sunday, I've delighted in the songs we're going to be singing. I cannot wait to revel in the classics of Away in A Manger, Angels from the Realms of Glory, Hark the Herald Angels Sing and of course, the all time favorite, Silent Night. I am so thankful for the ways in which music tells the story of our Savior's birth. It brings such depth and vision to the sacred events of Christ's birth and draws us near to this most holy event. And that my friends is what Christmas is all about...God drawing us near to him through the birth of Son Jesus Christ. May the music of Christmas touch you deeply as you ponder all that we are about to celebrate in the days ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment