Thursday, September 24, 2009

Longings

I'll always feel like I want to be in two (or three or four) places at once. Through my re-connection with high school friends through Facebook, my longings for California and the wonderful beaches there has heightened. I see by their posts the plans they are making to meet up and enjoy a day at the beach and sometimes I sigh and feel a little sad...I want to go. And my parent's house is almost completely redone after their awful flood and I wish I could fly over and help them unpack. It would be so great to be able to go be with them for a long week-end.
But then if I think about actually moving back to the States I know that other longings would pop up. I love our church and when God does eventually call us away, it will be excruciating to extrapolate ourselves from that beloved community. And after being in our home for 11 years, it is ours and it's lovely and cozy and I love living here. And I love my friends here and the crazy book club I'm a part of and the fun group of American women I hook up with now and again, and my wonderful tennis group, and our long vacations and our fabulous Finnmaster boat. These are all things that I would imagine longing for whilst living in another place.
So what's a girl who grew up in Southern California and married a Minnesota guy and moved to Sweden to do? Enjoy. Enjoy the memories of the sweet life I've known and savor the sweetness of the many life experiences I've had. Enjoy my present for all of the gifts and joy it brings me. Enjoy wondering about the future and all that God has in store for us. The Apostle Paul in his letter to the Philippians was onto something when he said, "I have learned to be content no matter my circumstances." In spite of my longings, I thank God for my past, present and future.

1 comment: