Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Submission?

On another blog I read a conversation regarding female submission in the Christian family has emerged. It annoys me because I just wonder why and how this helps us live better in the world. I posted a response today. Here's my note.
I've had a long journey with the Christian woman stuff. I grew up in a very traditional family. Stay at home mom, chauvinistic but supportive father. Very athletic family as well. I was a good athlete and I inherited my father's intensity. As I grew as Christian, the whole "gentle and quiet spirit" description of Christian women was a clash with my basic personality and I wondered how a gregarious, out-going, often loud and opinionated woman fit into the Christian woman world. Then I discovered that I had public speaking gifts, but no where in my upbringing was being a (preaching) pastor a career option. I began to think about Christian education. At one point, as a young woman I remember thinking that I'd like to marry a pastor in order to be close to ministry and even said to my mom once, "If I were a boy, I'd for sure be a pastor." I did carry an ingrained notion that I would need to be able to submit to a man in my marriage and in fact heard so often that I would need a really strong man in my life in order to be able to do so. This led to my being involved in a relationship with a Christian man who totally dominated my identity. The dynamic in our relationship, my need to feel submissive, his need to lead, led to the absolute disappearance of my identity and personality. After that relationship failed, I began to question many things and this is when my pastoral calling re-emerged. I was single for all of my 20's and early 30's and so began to wonder what life as Christian woman meant for me. I went to seminary as a single woman to sort out the pastoral question and discovered that I was gifted for ministry. My seminary (North Park) and my denomination (Covenant Church in America) were both affirming of my call even though many churches in the denomination were not. Then I met my husband who was the most affirming male presence in my life I'd even met. He encouraged my pastoral gifts and as our relationship grew and developed, the issues of submission and spiritual leadership never even emerged. We've now been married for 15 years and power struggles are not a part of our life together. We make decisions based on what's good for the marriage. We seek to love and care for one another's needs. I can't think of one time in those 15 years that Doug needed to assert himself and just make a decision. When we made the decision to come to Sweden, I was in a very satisfying position as campus Chaplain at North Park University. After we received the call, Doug said to me...I want to go, but this one is your call. I need for you to feel called and if you are hesitant at all, we won't go. That was Doug loving me as Christ loved the church and I suppose is what made it possible to "submit" to the call to move to Sweden. But Doug first submitted to my happiness. Isn't that what it's all about?
My story is further complicated by the fact that Doug and I have suffered the pain of infertility. Never becoming parents has been one the most difficult journeys we've ever been on. But because so much of American Christianity lifts up the stay at home mom as virtuous, here I was again, faced with a situation where I swam upstream. I have been made to feel less than because I'm not a mom and that is painful. And the whispers of "if she wasn't so focused on her career, God would've given them children" have not built my confidence in the Christian community.
OK...bottom line. What does it mean for us to be Christian men and women in the world? What does it mean for wives and husbands to honor one another and Christ? If power is at the center of this discussion, it's all wrong anyway. Why can't we celebrate the giftedness that God has given each of us...celebrate the ways in which he uses the diversity of his creation to accomplish his purposes instead of wondering if women should be subservient to men?
I'd really like to see a discussion of what it means for men to love their wives as Christ loved the church. Why isn't that a hot topic? I guess I have to ask, why are we so interested in submission? It's not that hard. We are called to submit to one another in love...how we do that usually works itself out in the individual relationships. And again, if it's about who has the power in a relationship, then we are really way off course.

4 comments:

  1. AMEN! Jesus promised that "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." This was a promise that was offered to both women and men. The experience of life in all its fullness is one that invites us to explore that which is unchartered territory in our lives and indeed to risk depth in our relationships. There is an inherent risk when we explore unchartered territory though, and that is simply that we do not know what we will find. The fullness of life is not always just the good stuff. The invitation to experience life in all its fullness will engage us in the full range of human emotion and experience, from joy through to grief and everything in between. The fullness of life will necessarily be a unique and different experience for all of us. I suspect that God desires for us to experience something of the fullness of life, through engagement in rich diversity within community. And yet, so many Christian communities seem to be scared of diversity and continually seek to homogenise and indeed dampen down the expression of the Christian life: the doctrine of the submission of women is a classic case in point. When communities seek to limit the expression of the Christian life in this way, we need to ask the question: WHY?

    Michael Luenig offers us this answe in his poem, Love and Fear.

    There are only two feelings, Love and fear:
    There are only two languages, Love and fear:
    There are only two activities, Love and fear:
    There are only two motives, two procedures,
    two frameworks, two results, Love and fear,
    Love and fear.

    Jesus ministry continually calls us out of a life of fear, and into a life of love. I have recently been painting a series of works about the haemorraging woman who touched the hem of Jesus garment. Her faith, evident in the absence of fear, was rewarded with the presence of healing love. She was moved to reach out to him from a deep desire to experience life in its fullness. Jesus is indeed a truly active and prominent feminist! Sent from God, he regularly ministered to women in the most unlikely places and released them to live their lives in fullness.
    One of the most frustrating experiences is to find that I do not have a voice that can be heard in this debate. There is a growing trend amongst young evangelical Christians in Australia, toward the doctrine of the submission of women. As a woman, when i speak into this debate, I often find myself labelled a 'raving feminist' (which is apparently a bad thing!!).
    My opinion is therefore disregarded or worse still it becomes used as evidence as to why women should not speak strongly about their opinions (for when they do, they rock the status quo..and that is apparently a bad thing too!)

    So where do I go when I feel silenced, alone and frustrated by the limited vision of those in my Christian communities?
    I go to the studio...and I paint!
    And the Spirit of God releases me into love and fullness of life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with many of your thoughts. I do believe that a more diverse church community and worship experience better reflect who God is, who we are, and what the kingdom of God is about than a less diverse. A friend of mine pointed out that in heaven there will be no such thing as a "national church" (country/culture specific denomination/church culture) there will be a gathering of people from all tribes... complete diversity. Unfortunately it seems very difficult to enable, encourage, and empower this in our churches. Any ideas? How do we get to a place where more of the gifts and abilities can prosper and bear fruit? How do we prepare the ground for such church community?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get back in the kitchen where you belong! :- )

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! What a blessing to read this post of yours Jodi! Was surfing around a bit this afternoon and decided to check up on your blog and came upon this "old" article! And it showed me again that with God in command, there are no "coincidences". As a "career woman" with no children and a marriage breaking up, your words were balm to a very wounded soul. You cannot imagine how often I have heard similar comments from Christians who can never believe that my marriage is childless, because I married a man who had "other priorities". Of course no one believes that, since I am so obviously the "strong, independant" woman.
    So thank you for this wonderful article and encouragement. I have been struggling with the submission issue for a long time in my married life. God bless you for your openness and honesty!

    ReplyDelete